Sunday, March 19, 2006

Man with a mission

As a counsellor, I strongly believe creativity plays an important role in our wellbeing. What do I mean by "creativity?" Well, you may think I mean writing, drawing, painting, playing a musical instrument, singing and dancing. Yes, that's partly what I do mean. But I also mean living creatively.

It's said that everyone has a book in them. Well, I believe we have entire libraries. The act of writing a book takes time, effort, some talent, the application of the craft and a commitment to pursuing your goal of creating something you'd like people to read. The same could be said of the way we live our lives. In the way a book is created partly through the choices an author makes, and partly through where the story and the characters take themselves (believe me, I know, since this is what happened while I was writing my first novel). And making choices about how we live our lives is probably the creates creative act we have within us. And the most powerful

I've counselled people who have been very troubled, and others who just want to sort some things out in their lives. The therapeutic relationship itself is an act of creation. A shared, consensual world built and developed by client and counsellor alike. And, at its best, the creation evolves something new and significant in a person's life. I believe in this potential. that's why I counsel.

And I believe in creativity as a powerful tool in our lives. As well as something we embrace just for fun, and the joy it can give us. That's some of the reasons I write fiction. I was driven to write fiction from an early age, and in recent years achieved my ambitions of being published. More on this later.

I will use this blog to post thoughts, musings and hopefully helpful stuff for people seeking to sort some things out in their lives. I will post the occasionally essay (not necessarily about counselling, though some will be on that subject.) You'll also find review - books, music, film, whatever is taking my fancy at the time.

And if you want to know more about me, or to find out about online counselling, you can visit my website:
www.therapeutictouchclinic.com

I hope you will enjoy reading my blog, and I welcome any comments or feedback.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to become involved in a blogging site where creative thinkers can analyze email correspondence for the purpose of developing insight into ourselves and others. Would you like to do that too?

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having checked out your website, John, I have some questions:
Are you British?
Are you a certified therapist?

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jakk54 said...

Antoinette - yes, this sounds interesting. I am potentially interested, so please feel free to get in touch with more details.

Christina - yes, I am Scottish, in fact. And I hold a Certificate in Counselling (working towards a Diploma). The certificate allows me to practice as a freelancer, plus I work part-time as a volunteer counsellor at Health All Round in Edinburgh, counselling people face-to-face. I have been counselling now for two years.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home